Neighborhood Self Help by Older Persons Projects (SHOPP) is a non-profit social services agency located in the Bronx serving minority older adults. SHOPP’s mission is based on the philosophy of self-help and mutual assistance. We believe that older people are capable of helping themselves and helping others improve their capacity to deal with the physical, emotional, social, and financial challenges they face as they age.
NY Connects is the trusted place to go for free, unbiased information about long-term services and supports in NYS for people of all ages or with any type of disability. Long-term services and supports include medical and non-medical services a person needs to improve or maintain health and independence. The NY Connects program may provide services in a nursing home, the individual’s home, or other community-based settings. Our goal is to help individuals live independently while meeting their medical, social, and functional needs that arise from aging or disability.
The NY Connects Outreach Worker primarily delivers information and assistance on long-term care services and supports to individuals, families, caregivers, professionals, and Bronx communities who are in need of accessing and navigating through complex systems.
The NY Connects Outreach Worker is specifically responsible for the following tasks:
• Coordinate regular Public Education/Outreach events in the community to generate referrals to the program.
• Log and track Public Education/Outreach events on a monthly basis.
• Educate communities and build linkages and contacts for the program.
• Promote SHOPP services and participate in community fairs and events (indoors and outdoors)
• Build connections and correspond to emails and phone calls in a timely manner.
• Communicate and coordinate outreach events with internal departments.
• Maintain great interpersonal and communication skills. Going the extra mile to assist participants in meeting the program’s goal.
• Provides Information and Assistance to consumers through the phone, e-mail or in-person.
• Comply with the New York State NY Connects Standards when interacting with all consumers and performing other job functions. Must also comply with SHOPP Personnel Policy.
• Provide unbiased information and assistance on all long term care services/supports, conducts general screening of consumers to determine needs, may link consumers with long term care services and supports, and may provide follow-up with consumers to ensure that connections to services were made.
• Advocate, refer and assist with application assistance when appropriate, i.e. Medicaid, HEAP, Home Delivered Meals.
• Acquires and maintains a thorough knowledge of all local long-term care programs, as applicable to older adults and individuals with disabilities.
• Maintain accurate consumer I&A records.
• Perform other tasks as assigned by the Program Director.