Public Defender Forensic Social Worker - Time-Limited
$5,308 - $6,452/Monthly*
The Public Defender's Office seeks an experienced Social Worker looking for a rewarding career opportunity.
Starting salary up to $37.10/hour ($77,432.15/year) Plus, a cash allowance
of approximately $600/Mo.*
The Public Defender Forensic Social Worker with the County of Sonoma will work under the Indigent Defense Program Grant and will help meet the demand to assess clients’ increasingly complex needs, to work with the growing number of seniors served by the Public Defender’s Office, and to coordinate services with attorneys and provide information to the courts and probation. They will perform duties and assume responsibility for case assignments under the specific direction, instruction, and guidance of the Public Defender's Office.
This position requires the application of fundamental theories of psychosocial variables to assist in identifying the presence of physical or mental health impairments, substance abuse, family background, or other social history patterns that may impact behavior and development. They will also conduct assessments and compile psychosocial histories for submission to courts. This position will be an employee of the Human Services Department (HSD), but will work onsite at the Public Defender's Office. Additional duties include:
• Interviewing, evaluating, and diverting clients to social services
• Providing clients with a detailed needs assessment and identifying mental health and substance use disorder issues
• Investigating and documenting an individual’s family, medical, mental health, social, educational, employment, and forensic histories
• Assessing incarcerated clients to develop a reentry transition plan into the community
• Working with clients post-release to navigate services and ensure reentry plans are successfully executed
• Writing alternative disposition recommendations to the court and testifying regarding the clients ability to engage in custody programs and services, and achieve reentry success
What We Offer
When you join HSD, you become part of a strong work family that makes a difference in lives of our community. We offer opportunities for growth, development, and the ability to be a part of a rewarding work environment. You can also look forward to excellent benefits,* including:
• An annual Staff Development/Wellness Benefit allowance up to $500 and ongoing education/training opportunities
• Competitive vacation and sick leave accruals, 12 paid holidays, and an additional 8 floating holiday hours per year
• Significant portion of health care premiums paid by the County and access to several health plan options
• County contribution to a Health Reimbursement Arrangement to help fund post-retirement employee health insurance/benefits
• Retirement fully integrated with Social Security
• May be eligible for up to 8 weeks (320 hours) of Paid Parental Leave after 12 months of County employment
• Eligibility for a salary increase after 1,040 hours (6 months when working full-time) for good work performance; eligibility for a salary increase for good performance every year thereafter, until reaching the top of the salary range
The Civil Service title for this position is Social Service Worker III. The Human Services Department is recruiting to fill one time-limited, Social Service Worker III position that is currently funded through May 31, 2023.