POSITION: Substance Abuse Counselor on a multi-disciplinary service team in a 97 bed supported SRO.
PROGRAM: Navy Green
QUALIFICATIONS: BA required, CASAC (or eligible) preferred. Three years experience with homeless and mentally ill, plus thorough knowledge of substance abuse issues as they pertain to the MICA population.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
1. Coordination of internal training to both residents and staff in the areas of Relapse Prevention, Crisis Management, Peer Counseling, and etc.
2. Develop an agency wide resource guide of treatment providers - detox, long-term rehab, MICA programs, and etc.
3. Design activities for those in recovery that support the development of independent living skills.
4. Develop an assessment tool to utilize with the intake packet and as a guide for establishing treatment avenues.
5. Carry a caseload of Navy Green residents and perform all relevant activities including timely services plan, reviews, psycho-socials, progress notes, etc.
6. Document Substance Abuse services provided during all interactions with participants throughout the agency.
7. Document all activities related to Substance Abuse Counseling, Treatment and etc by publishing a quarterly recovery newsletter. Submitting a monthly report that reflects Substance Abuse interventions and outcomes.
8. Participate in Utilization Reviews and Incident Reviews.
9. Participate in the recording and maintaining of accurate statistical data.
10. Attend all staff meetings, clinical conferences, training seminars and other meetings assigned.
11. Participate in Intake Committee process for resident applicants and design activities that support the development of independent living skills.
12. Assist in weekly individual counseling of those that are in recovery.
13. Conducts special support groups.
14. Work closely with team of Case Managers, Senior Case Manager and the Program Director to ensure that an integrated approach to the provision of Psych Rehab Services and program activities occurs.
15. Focus on identifying mutually agreed upon Substance Abuse needs and goals within the framework of Psych Rehab for those residents that are in recovery.
16. Teach and encourage positive social behaviors, conflict resolution and joint planning of community building activities.
17. Provide crisis intervention services which may extend to calling 911 and/or accompanying a resident to the hospital.
18. Provide advocacy and linkage for residents in regard to Substance Abuse treatment and aftercare services.
19. Creation of agency wide linkages with community providers of substance abuse services such as MICA detox and long term rehab programs.
20. Counsel, advocate and assist the residents to join sub-committees that offer an avenue of participation in the political process to address the issues that are related to substance use and abuse.