About HELP USA
At HELP USA, we work to ensure that everyone has a place to call home. We’re one of the nation’s largest homeless services providers and low-income housing developers serving at-risk populations including families, individuals, veterans, survivors of domestic violence, people with physical and mental health challenges and disabilities, and seniors. With an annual operating budget approaching $150 million and 1400 employees working in nearly 60 programs, we have helped over 500,000 people facing homelessness and poverty to build better lives. We hope that you will consider joining our team in the fight against homelessness.
HELP USA is seeking a Housing Specialist who will be responsible for helping clients find permanent housing and become self-sufficient. This is a critical part of the service that we provide to our homeless clients, and can be a very satisfying role. Services will include training in how to conduct an apartment search, how to interview for an apartment, how to complete housing forms, and how to activate utilities. Additionally, the Housing Specialist will provide referrals to housing resources.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Conducting the housing intake and housing assessment Interview for all new residents.
- Completing of the housing portion of the initial service plan/independent living plan and any necessary revisions.
- Developing and conducting housing workshops and meeting with residents regularly, at least monthly.
- Arranging forums with outside providers (e.g. Con Edison) to provide information on topics related to securing and maintaining permanent housing.
- Providing additional information and instruction on the skills required to secure and maintain permanent housing, such as how to create and maintain a household budget.
- Assisting residents in the completion of all housing applications and ensuring that applications are submitted to housing programs in a timely manner.
- Developing new housing resources.
- Escorting residents to view apartments and other appointments as needed.
- Assisting residents in moving into permanent housing by providing support such as attending lease signings, ensuring utilities are turned on, assisting with the move out, etc.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required. -Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- Minimum of one year experience in housing placement services, with three years being preferable
- Commitment to the mission of HELP USA to help people in need of housing and to end homelessness.
- Computer literacy with Microsoft applications required.
- Knowledge and understanding of team concepts preferred.
EOE. A Drug Free Workplace.