This is an exciting time to join Contra Costa Health Services as we are recruiting to fill Medical Social Worker II positions in both inpatient and outpatient settings! These positions are located in the Contra Costa Regional Medical Center (CCMRC), Health Centers (HCs), Behavioral Health (BH) programs, as well as Public Health (PH) programs catered to Children’s Services. In order to provide the best services to our patients and community, we strive to recruit motivated, forward-thinking, results-driven staff.
We are looking for someone who:
• Is a critical thinker – resourceful and creative with problem solving.
• Exhibits efficient organizational skills.
• Has exceptional communication skills, both verbally and written.
• Is responsive and professional in working with challenging patients, work situations, and systems.
• Exhibits empathy and cultural competence.
• Can be flexible in a fast-paced environment – able to manage their time and prioritize tasks.
What you will typically be responsible for:
• Interview families and clients/participants with intensive care management, to arrive at a comprehensive assessment of needs.
• Interagency coordination and collaboration.
• Attending and actively participating in interdisciplinary rounds or team meetings, to review client needs and plans.
• Reviewing and maintaining chart documentation that is timely, clear, relevant, and thorough.
• Offering consultation and recommendation regarding patient care and discharge planning to medical and ancillary teams.
• Communicating and providing outreach to clients with increased psychosocial needs, e.g., crisis intervention, addressing basic needs (food, housing).
A few reasons why you might love this job:
• The work is rewarding and interesting, with ongoing learning opportunities.
• Ability to work independently, as well as with a team.
• Great staff with a culture of supporting one another in a collaborative way.
• Ample opportunities for creative problem solving.
A few challenges you might face in this job:
• Intense cases with diverse needs.
• Maintaining self-care when working with overly stressed clients and families.
• May encounter intense emotional reactions to medical, psychiatric, or psychosocial factors, requiring the ability to stay calm under pressure.
• Fast-paced environment with competing demands, requiring frequent re-prioritizing.
Education: Possession of a Master's Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Social Work, Psychology, Counseling, or a closely related behavioral science field.
Experience: Two years of full-time experience providing counseling and/or social work services to medical patients.
Substitution for Education and Experience: Possession of a Baccalaureate Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Social Work, Psychology, Counseling or a closely related behavioral science field and either: a) two years of full-time or its equivalent experience as a Medical Social Worker I in Contra Costa County; or b) three years of full-time or its equivalent experience providing counseling and/or social work services to medical patients.
Substitution for Academic Major: One additional year of qualifying experience of the type noted above may be substituted for the required major.