Program: St. Nicholas House
Salary: $17.50 per hour
St. Nicholas House is a 94-unit Single Room Occupancy (SRO) building providing permanent housing and supportive services to formerly homeless men and women and very low-income individuals. A comprehensive array of support services is offered to the tenants, including medical, employment and recreational services.
Under the direction of the Building Manager, the Custodian is responsible for performing a myriad of repair and maintenance tasks daily to provide a clean and safe environment for the tenants and staff in the building; performs related work.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties of the Custodian include but are not limited to the following activities:
• Per an assigned schedule performs janitorial duties and cleans, sweeps, uses a buffing machine, mops, polishes and disinfects the floors in the lobby, and other common areas, including lounges, recreation areas, the dining room and the tenants’ laundry room in the building.
• Completes Work Order requests for minor repairs in the tenants’ apartments. These include such things as replacing light bulbs, wiping down light fixtures, changing plumbing and bathroom fixtures, replacing broken tiles, and doing minor painting.
• Completes all Work Orders in a timely manner while providing the Building Manager with detailed information regarding the tasks performed.
• Assists in preparing apartments for new residents and with the moving in/out processes. May assist tenants in moving furniture into and out of the apartments, and replacing furniture provided by the building such as refrigerators, bedframes, air conditioners, mattresses, tables, chairs, bureaus, and televisions.
• Performs refuge duties including dumpster and compactor maintenance, sorting metal, carrying garbage bags to the curb, and preparing items for the building’s recyclable plan.
• Works in the exterior of the building, sweeping, and cleaning the sidewalks, and performing snow removal and de-icing functions when necessary.
• Assists in checking and as needed, replacing the batteries in smoke detectors and carbon monoxide devises to ensure that all are functioning properly.
• Maintains a proper level of supplies and materials for areas assigned to ensure the timely and efficient completion of required tasks.
• Accepts and moves deliveries into storage areas.
• Performs other duties as assigned by supervisory staff.
Job duties generally require the physical activities described below, subject to any necessary reasonable accommodations due to disability. While performing the duties of this position, the Custodian is regularly required to walk throughout the 7-story building to complete assignments, and to make repairs in any of the 94 apartments in the building. In addition, the Custodian must sit, stand, reach and crawl into tight spaces to complete assignments. Further, the Custodian must be able to climb as well as work from ladders ranging from 6 ft. to 12 ft. and must be able to lift, move packages, material, furniture, and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
All newly hired Project Renewal staff must provide verification of being fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
To Apply: Please use the following link: https://us62e2.dayforcehcm.com/CandidatePortal/en-US/projectrenewal/Posting/View/371