Under the direction of the Board of Supervisors, the Director of Social Services plans, organizes, coordinates and controls the eligibility, administrative and social services sections of the department; formulates and develops policies and procedures in conformance with State and federal regulations, legislation and directives; and supervises and evaluates the performance of staff.
Duties and Key Attributes include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Provide leadership with a positive presence, demonstrating initiative and good judgment; is action oriented, treats people with respect, and is open and approachable.
• Direct all aspects of the operations of the Agency, conferring frequently with subordinate leadership staff in developing and implementing programs, policies, goals, and objectives of the Agency.
• Oversee planning, development, integration, and monitor and evaluate a variety of social services and financial assistance programs of the County; directly supervise and coordinate the social services’ activities.
• Plan the activities of the Agency, including development and timely implementation of the Agency’s goals and strategic plans; management of funding allocations, resources, and services to meet client needs.
• Evaluate the operations of all the functions of the Agency in order to ensure compliance with federal and state laws and regulations related to social services programs; compliance with local directives and policies; the efficiency of operations; and the appropriate engagement and discipline of employees.
• Review public inquiries and concerns pertaining to activities of employees or of the Agency, direct investigations and evaluate major concerns and audit issues involving the Agency.
• Establish collaborative, effective working relationships with the Board of Supervisors and other government and community leaders to address strategic initiatives and efforts.
• Coordinate the activities of the Agency with other providers of social services and continuum of care including other County departments, agencies, boards and commissions; meet with such entities as the Agency representative.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE(S)
The ideal candidate will be an energetic, results oriented leader with exceptional communication skills and a proven track record of navigating culture change, identifying best practices, fostering strong business relationships and a collaborative team-oriented working environment, and the ability to achieve results through others. The successful candidate will possess a strong understanding of Social Services Agency programs and objectives, public procurement and budgeting practices, and County government. Key attributes also include responsiveness and political astuteness. The most qualified candidates will demonstrate their ability to lead a talented and professional staff and manage a large, complex, and challenging social services agency.