Schedule: Monday- Friday, approximately, 11:00am-7:30pm with flexibility to accommodate hospital needs
Benefits: Medical, Vision, Dental, Life Insurance, 403(b) Retirement plan.
In collaboration with The People Concern and Kaiser Permanente (KP) West Los Angeles Hospital staff, the Community Navigator researches, sources and provides resources for people experiencing homelessness who come into the hospital for services. This position reports to the Program Manager, Health and Wellness.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Improve the follow-up care and services provided to homeless patients at discharge by assessing patients’ needs and connecting them with the appropriate resources.
- Design and implement strategies for engaging individuals who resist services, in collaboration with KP staff at KP West LA and other facilities.
- Create and maintain a list of high needs patients with Kaiser Homeless Task Force
- Work closely with hospital staff (inpatient and emergency department) to contribute to discharge plans to ensure continuity of services by connecting to case management and other recommended services after release from the hospital.
- Schedule follow-up medical appointments by making and documenting Primary Care Physician (PCP) appointments.
- Maintain strict confidentiality and privacy practices and share information, as appropriate and legally allowed, to coordinate patient care
- In conjunction with Social Work staff, create a Community Resources list/binder on services available for the homeless population.
- Ensure resources are up to date and effectively utilized.
Relationships and Teamwork:
- Work as part of a team to coordinate directly with social service agencies throughout Los Angeles County to connect homeless patients to appropriate housing and services, including referrals to various housing programs.
- Build effective working relationships with hospital staff to educate staff on the services available to this population and resources available within the - Community to assist individuals experiencing homelessness. Participate in specified meetings to help disseminate this information among all staff involved in caring for individuals experiencing homelessness as determined by management.
- Responsible for making sure that KP West LA patients benefit from all available community programs by keeping staff informed and taking initiative to refer, track, which community resources are provided.
- Maintain a cooperative relationship among care teams with both inpatient and Emergency Department staff by communicating information, responding to requests, building rapport, participating in team problem-solving efforts.
- Participate in all safety programs and trainings required by KP WEST LA and TPC.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies, as appropriate.