Title: Peer Counselor
Location: Bedford Green House
Under the supervision of the Clinical Coordinator, the Peer Counselor is responsible for providing additional supportive services to selected clients to facilitate their transition from shelter to supportive housing.
Bedford Green House is a new state-of-the-art supportive/affordable housing complex providing homes and services to more than 300 New Yorkers. Phase I is a building designed to LEED Gold Standards and is scheduled to open in the Bronx in October 2021. Bedford Green House will provide onsite social services including primary care for adults and families and women’s health services, family reunification services, occupational therapy, and more. Funded in part by the NYC Dept. of Health and Hygiene and Human Resources Administration, Bedford Green House supports and encourages a healthy lifestyle with an abundance of resources for the community at large. BGH features sustainable landscaped green roof, rooftop greenhouse, aquaponics growing system, horticultural therapy classes with year-round gardening, planned healthy cooking workshops, community playground, and backyard with recreational and exercise equipment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The essential duties of the Peer Counselor include but are not limited to the following activities:
• Meets with identified clients individually and, or in groups to discuss issues related to successful community living including: budgeting, medication adherence, sobriety or harm reduction, and use of leisure time
• Provide referrals for clients for medical care, substance use services, and employment services as necessary
• Escort clients to appointments in the community
• Documents all clients’ information and case notes updates in a timely fashion
• Participate in weekly team meetings and other meetings and trainings as assigned
• Provide Front Desk Coverage Monday to Friday on a rotating basis
• While at the Front Desk, log in and out clients and guests and document all critical incidents
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Clinical Coordinator