New Alternatives for Children, Inc. (NAC) is an award-winning not-for-profit agency in Midtown Manhattan, with a satellite Bronx office, dedicated to serving children and families with medical complexities, chronic illnesses, and disabilities throughout the five boroughs. To assist in achieving this mission, NAC is currently seeking a Social Worker/Mental Health Counselor to join its Specialized Family Foster Care Program.
• Title: Specialized Family Foster Care Social Worker/ Mental Health Counselor
• Position Type: Full-time
• Location: 37 W 26th St., 7th Floor | New York, NY 10010
• Program: Specialized Family Foster Care
Description of Responsibilities: Promotes the safety, well-being and permanency of children in Specialized Foster Care.
• Conducts assessments and provides clinical, casework and linkage to services to children with special needs including medical and development challenges and their caregivers recommended by supported by NAC’s multidisciplinary treatment team.
• Works collaboratively with psychiatrists, psychologists, pediatricians, nurses, education specialists and fellow clinicians in a dynamic, strength-based interdisciplinary team model.
• Conducts home and community-based visits to families; oversees parent/child visits (both in-person and virtual).
• Prepares and participates in Administration for Children’s Services (ACS) and NAC conferences and NYC Family Court proceedings.
• Completes ACS and NAC paperwork in a timely manner and ensures that documentation conforms to agency, City and State regulatory requirements including but not limited to progress notes, permanency/court reports and Family Assessment Service Plans (FASP).
• Ensures adherence to agency policies and ACS regulatory requirements.
• Participates in individual and group supervision and on-site/virtual trainings. Participates in interdisciplinary case reviews and consultations with medical, mental health and Autism experts as needed. Group supervision offered for those working toward clinical licensure.
• Excellent written/verbal communication and organizational skills
• Strong engagement skills
• Ability to work autonomously and as a member of a team
• Proficiency in Spanish is preferred (and includes a salary differential)