As part of New York City’s plan to end homelessness, the Department of Homeless Services established Homebase Homeless Prevention Community Resource Centers throughout New York City. Homebase programs are designed to assist families and individuals who are homeless or at imminent risk for becoming homeless to develop a plan for long-term housing stability. Homebase helps clients navigate the complicated eviction process, offers financial and money management counseling, helps clients obtain public benefits, provides short-term financial assistance, and helps with relocation if necessary.
As a Case Manager for one of our Homebase programs, you’ll provides case management services, crisis intervention, and advocacy for individuals and families facing a housing crisis and who are at risk of shelter entry or re-entry. You’ll work toward the resolution of the housing crisis and address other immediate needs that the client may have that are contributing to the crisis.
Specific responsibilities will include:
* Completing initial intake interviews with new clients and conducting thorough needs assessments to determine program eligibility.
* Working with clients to establish services plans leading to crisis resolution and self-sufficiency.
* Providing clients with service referrals for employment, training, vocational training, and education.
* Advocating for and assisting clients with the service delivery system to ensure receipt of entitlements and housing stabilization.
* Coordinating with the Housing Court Liaison and Housing Specialist to provide court advocacy and relocation services as needed.
* Preparing thorough, accurate, and complete program financial assistance requests, as needed, to assist with resolving clients’ housing crises.
* Participating in program outreach efforts and making presentations to community-based organizations in order to increase program enrollments.
* Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or a related field required.
* Knowledgeable of relevant state and county regulations.
* A minimum of two years’ experience in case management, assessment, counseling and crisis intervention preferred.
* Strong verbal, written, and negotiation skills.
* Experience with and knowledge of NYC/NYS housing subsidies a plus.
* Strong organizational and documentation skills.
* Ability to take the initiative, be dependable and resourceful, and pay keen attention to detail.
* Excellent organizational skills to enable successful management of multiple tasks in a timely manner in a fast paced and demanding environment.
* Knowledge of family systems approach to practice preferred.
* Knowledge of team concepts preferred.
* Computer literate, specifically with Microsoft applications, required.
* Able to provide evening and weekend coverage as needed.
* Valid US Drivers’ license a plus.
EOE. A Drug Free Workplace.