Basic Function: The Housing Benefits Counselor will assist consumers in locating affordable housing options in NYC, helping them understand their rights in getting reasonable accommodations and home modifications, and providing advocacy services in order to resolve current housing issues. The housing benefits counselor will also conduct a regular housing workshop and outreach throughout NYC.
• Knowledge of federal, state, and local housing laws, policies, & practices.
• Understanding of how various housing issues impact people with disabilities.
• Identify housing opportunities for unstably housed individuals and work directly or indirectly with individuals who need services to avoid institutional placement or to transition from institutions to the community.
• Identify landlords, public housing, private housing, rental units, housing developers, & rental management companies that may be suitable for current & future consumers.
• Assist in the completion of applications, help prepare consumers for housing interviews, & ensure secure housing outcomes.
• Conduct comprehensive assessment relevant to consumer housing needs, particularly as it relates to the ability to maintain and/or retain independence in the community.
• Collaborate with consumers to create plans of service & periodically review the plan for adjustments.
• Ensure all client data and service provider details are current & accurate and that
• Comply with all confidentiality and HIPAA requirements.
• Assist consumers in the development and exercise of self-advocacy skills & independent living skill-building through active involvement in the achievement of service goals.
• Act as a liaison & advocate with other service or benefits providers for consumers.
• Contribute as needed to the organization’s systems-based advocacy programs by communicating observed barriers/successes related to benefits & services available to people with disabilities
• Participate in community outreaches, presentations, & workshops, as assigned.
• Attend the agency’s in-service training & any other agency-related activities & off-site training.
Other Information: We conform to all laws, statutes, & regulations concerning equal employment opportunities & affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, & veterans to apply to all of our job openings. We are an equal opportunity employer & all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, genetic information & gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We prohibit retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint or otherwise oppose discrimination.