New Alternatives for Children, Inc. (NAC) is an award-winning not-for-profit agency in Midtown Manhattan, with a satellite Bronx office, dedicated to serving children and families with medical complexity, chronic health conditions, significant disabilities and behavioral challenges. To assist in achieving this mission, NAC is currently seeking a Parent Advocate to join the Foster Care Department.
This position will ensure that birth parents have an adequate voice for their concerns regarding their children in the foster care system, and that they will navigate the foster care system as effectively and efficiently as possible. The Parent Advocate (PA) is expected to collaborate with the Foster Care on all issues related to birth parents
Title of Position: Parent Advocate
Position Type: Full Time | 9-5 position, but may require evening work with clients who need to be seen after 5 PM
Pay Range: Based Experience
Location: 37 West 26th Street, NY New York 10010
Description of Responsibilities:
• Collaborates with foster care staff on all issues related to the successful engagement of birth parents;
• Provides direct support to birth parents including conducting home and community visits;
• Prepares parents for and participates at Family Team Conferences;
• Assists parents in utilizing community services, communicating effectively about their foster care case and meeting their service plan goals;
• Informs parents of their rights, and educates and advocates for parents in family court;
• Assists parents in remaining connected to their children during foster care placement including supporting family time;
• Supports the “Parent to Parent” concept, and educates and sensitizes foster parents to the issues and feelings common to parents whose children are in foster care
• Acts as agency representative at Community Partner Initiative meetings;
• Attends NAC, ACS and RISE training sessions as appropriate;
• Performs all of job duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
• High School diploma or equivalent (minimum);
• Proficiency in Spanish and English preferred;
TRAINING: Be trained by RISE training and remain engaged with RISE creating an on-going network of support.
For information on New Alternatives for Children, Inc., visit our website at www.nackidscan.org
New Alternatives for Children, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
New Alternatives for Children, Inc. was founded on the principle of inclusion. We strive to create and maintain a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace at all levels. It is not enough to serve; we must strive to dismantle oppressive policies and practices.