NOW HIRING: LEGAL SERVICES COORDINATOR
(FULL-TIME. JD NOT REQUIRED)
TFC is seeking a Legal Services Coordinator to join its Legal Wellness Institute, a team of dedicated attorneys and advocates providing holistic, community-based legal services to low-income New Yorkers affected by serious illness and disability.
In keeping with our commitment to holistic representation, all LWI staff work on cases in all of our practice areas. And for clients unable to travel to our office, we bring the law office to the client: meeting in clients’ homes, hospitals, hospices, and other sites throughout NYC.
All LWI team members receive extensive orientation, ongoing training, and many opportunities for professional growth and development. Legal Service Coordinators manage individual work and caseloads, but function as part of a collaborative, close-knit team and receive significant mentorship and guidance. Our work is complex and challenging, but TFC is committed to supporting staff in doing this work well and encourages work-life balance and self-care.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Advocate for clients on issues relating to public benefits and other matters, including representation in administrative hearings, with attorney supervision
• Provide benefits counseling to HIV+ New Yorkers about the impact of earned income on benefits
• Assist LWI attorneys in providing legal services to clients in all five boroughs, including home and hospital visits, accompanying clients to administrative agencies, research and document preparation, and court filings
• Assist with new client intake, data entry, and reporting
• Create and lead community presentations and legal clinics on various topics at locations throughout NYC
• Assist with training of legal interns and volunteers
• Other duties, projects, and tasks as required
• Fluency in Spanish, required
• College graduate
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated commitment to working with marginalized communities
• Excellent writing, speaking, and organizational skills
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team setting
• Willingness to travel throughout NYC to meet with and advocate for clients and give presentations
• Experience working with individuals affected by mental and/or physical illness preferred but not required
• Experience or studies in family law, public benefits, housing or elder law preferred but not required
• Must be available for in-person work in NYC
Application Instructions: Please email a resume, cover letter and one writing sample to email@example.com with the subject line “Legal Services Coordinator”. Please state salary requirements in cover letter.
The Family Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to inclusive hiring and strives to ensure that our staff reflects the diversity of the communities we serve.
The Family Center is covered under FMLA.