Bilingual Court Advocate|
Osborne Association Inc
<< Go back |
Email Job to a Friend
Save Job to Inbox
||Mar 09, 2021
||US - New York - Brooklyn
||- n/a -
The Osborne Association serves individuals, families, and communities affected by the criminal justice system. Through our programs, we offer opportunities for people to heal from and repair harm, restore their lives, and thrive. We challenge systems rooted in racism and retribution and fight for policies and practices that promote true safety, justice, and liberation.
It is our shared belief and core value that we honor everyone's capacity to change, celebrate our shared humanity, are united in our pursuit of justice and equity, when we make a commitment all possible steps are taken to keep our word, and we will continue to advocate for people and principles with fierce and tenacious determination, making us unstoppable.
We are seeking a Court Advocate/Forensic Social Work to join our Court Advocacy Services (CAS) department. The Court Advocate/Forensic Social Worker will join the CAS department in assisting individuals facing open criminal cases in New York Supreme Court, throughout all five boroughs. Cases are referred to us by court-appointed attorneys. We conduct pre-plea and pre-sentence investigations in order to ascertain mitigating circumstances and when appropriate, to advocate for client-specific sentencing alternatives, including treatment and other community-based sanctions. Most recently, we have expanded our work to include assisting individuals facing technical parole violations, and conducting bail advocacy for women in detention with the goal of shortening the length of their terms of incarceration.
This position will follow a Monday - Friday 9am-5pm schedule, with evening flexibility. The position is split between 20% in office work and 80% remote work temporarily and is subject to change with or without notice.
Candidate must meet NYC-DOC eligibility requirements obtain clearance to enter DOC facilities.
• Support defense counsel by conducting a psychosocial assessment of the client
• Work with the client to develop a client-specific service plan
• Advocate before the Court and with the Office of the District Attorney and the Department of Probation
• Prepare and submit written work products to defense counsel, the Judge, and the Assistant District Attorney
• Support the client during the implementation of the plan
• Monitor clients by liaising with treatment providers and providing reports to the Court, the Office of the District Attorney, and the Department of Probation
• Perform other duties as required
Master's degree in Criminal Justice, Social Work, or Forensic Psychology
• A minimum of one year of progressively responsible professional experience in a Criminal Justice environment
• Experience conducting investigations and writing court reports such as Pre-Plea and Pre-Sentence Memorandums
• Experience advocating before the Court and familiarity with Court players
• Clearance to enter DOC facilities throughout NYC
• Excellent written and oral presentation skills, including public speaking skills
• Superior interviewing and listening skills
• Ability to extract reliable and genuine information while conveying empathy and remaining open-minded
• An insatiable curiosity about people, their history, and their current conditions
• Critical thinking skills and the ability to analyze information objectively
• Comprehensive knowledge of the criminal justice system and social service prac
Benefits of Working at Osborne
The Osborne Association is an EEO/Affirmative Action employer and a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, unemployment status, or any other protected category.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/ljpeL8IwPoZXcNdluJxV8
Name: Human Resources
Address: Apply Online
State/Province: New York
Country: United States