Since 1987, Homes for Life Foundation (HFLF) has established a network of permanent, affordable, service-enriched housing in Los Angeles County for individuals experiencing homelessness and persistent mental illness.
HFLF is seeking a full-time Staff Accountant to work under the direct supervision of the Accounting/Asset Manager, with primary responsibility for three housing projects: Birch Grove, Elm Street, and Cedar Street Homes. The position requires fiscal responsibility, government grant tracking, billing and reporting, accounts receivable, reconciling and balancing client accounts, record keeping, and generation of annual lender and government reports.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (not all-inclusive)
· Interpret and apply accounting regulations pertaining to locally and federally funded grant programs
· Prepare Annual Progress Reports (APRs)
· Prepare State HCD proposed and actual budgets
· Maintain accounting records and files
· Prepare monthly account reconciliations; research and resolve reconciling items promptly, and ensure that adequate supporting documentation is maintained
· Administer accounts payable and accounts receivable functions
· Maintain, bill, track and monitor Continuum of Care (CoC) grants and Department of Mental Health (DMH) grants tied to assigned projects
· Maintain and track client rents and income schedules; ensure rents are collected on monthly basis
· Prepare Aging Report monthly and follow up on rent balances owed
· Communicate with The Los Angeles County Office of the Public Guardian, program staff, DMH liaisons, and residential managers to resolve issues regarding client rent balances
· Complete annual client income certifications
· Attend government trainings as assigned by Accounting/Asset Manager
· Assist during field work for government fiscal audits and company financial audits
· Cross train with the Accounting/Asset Manager
· Assist with other special projects as assigned by the Accounting/Asset Manager
Monday - Friday, 9 am - 5:30 pm
· Bachelor’s degree required
· Minimum 1-2 years accounting experience required
· Knowledge of GAAP, accrual basis of accounting, general ledger accounting
· Strong familiarity with accounting principles and procedures
· Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Excel (vlookups, countif, data filters, data sorting, cell formatting, etc.). Working knowledge of AccuFund Accounting software highly desirable
· Non-profit accounting experience a plus
· Excellent written and verbal communication
· Strong organizational skills
· Excellent interpersonal skills; must be able to professionally interface with program staff, management, outside agencies, clients, and others from multi-ethnic backgrounds, mental and physical abilities, life experiences, temperaments, etc.
· Strong work ethic with ability to work independently
· Must maintain confidentiality and exhibit strong ethical standards
If you meet all requirements and are interested in learning more about joining our team of mission-driven professionals, we look forward to hearing from you! Please submit resume and cover letter (include hourly wage expectation and email address) to Julie Takata @ firstname.lastname@example.org.