Title: Vocational Counselor
Program: Next Step Ace
Next Step ACE is an employment program for individuals with serious mental illness who seek meaningful jobs in the competitive employment market. The ACE Vocational Counselor will work one-on-one with clients to assess their capability and experience and to develop and implement vocational plans that provide them with the tools they need to find and retain employment. This will include preparing resumes, conducting mock job interviews, responding to job leads, assisting clients applying to on-line positions and providing extensive retention support. The Vocational Counselor will also assist with outreach and recruitment efforts to help enroll new clients.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Reporting to the Assistant Director of Next Step ACE, duties include but are not limited to:
• Placing clients into jobs that result in achievement of job placement and retention milestone goals for various contracts.
• Assessing client vocational skills and limitations.
• Developing highly customized employment plans for each client.
• Completing all client documentation, including weekly and monthly case notes that record services provided and outstanding issues to be addressed.
• Entering client information and progress into various databases including Salesforce, NYESS, NYC MedPortal, and others as required.
• Helping clients with full range of job preparation activities including preparing resumes, drafting cover letters, applying for jobs online, and practicing effective interview skills.
• Advocating on a client’s behalf in all job related issues (post employment).
• Providing retention support including regular in-person or phone/email contact.
• Providing supplementary vocational counseling to clients when necessary.
• Scheduling and conducting outreach for client recruitment.
• Other duties as assigned