Bienestar Project Cultural Broker - Unaccompanied Minors|
The Family Center
<< Go back |
Email Job to a Friend
Save Job to Inbox
||Oct 24, 2020
||- n/a -
||- n/a -
||US - New York - Brooklyn
Bienestar Project Cultural Broker- Unaccompanied Minors (UAC)
The Family Center Mental Health Clinic’s Bienestar Project provides specialized mental health and supportive services to minors who were separated from parents/guardians at the border and who are now residing in NYC. The Bienestar Project Cultural Broker will have personal experience successfully bridging their culture of origin and mainstream American culture, allowing them to serve as an intermediary helping Unaccompanied Minors and their families understand cultural differences and similarities. The Cultural Broker’s work with Bienestar children, youth and families takes place in the office and the community and includes translation, interpretation and escort to services as needed. Most Bienestar clients have arrived from countries south of the US border and the Cultural Broker must be bilingual in Spanish and English. They must also be available to work on some Saturdays and evenings. The Bienestar Cultural Broker reports to the Bienestar Project Coordinator.
• Provide support to Unaccompanied Minors and their families serving as a liaison and mediator to ensure mutual understanding between child and family, and Bienestar Team and other providers.
• Advocate for children and families to facilitate access to needed services.
• Provide insights about the family to Bienestar Team to ensure full understanding of challenges and strengths that may influence service engagement and retention.
• Implement engagement and retention strategies as developed in collaboration with Bienestar Team.
• Support UAC youth and families as they learn about the impact of trauma and the benefits of treatment.
• Provide input to Bienestar Team on child/family readiness for mental health treatment and if needed suggest alternatives to treatment that may improve readiness.
• Provide escort, translation and interpretation as needed to facilitate access to services.
• Facilitate peer support groups, family activities.
• Collect data required by the funder and assist with data entry tasks as needed.
• Maintain a caseload of 16-20 families.
• Conduct outreach to promote Bienestar services among providers and community members in settings that serve high numbers of Unaccompanied Minors.
• Deliver and document services in electronic health record system.
• Manage extensive field schedule and use remote access tools to coordinate and communicate with supervisor and peers remotely.
• Associates or Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or related field, preferred
• Bilingual Spanish/English, required
• Personal experience bridging two cultures
• Experience working with poor, immigrant families
• Commitment to ensuring all work with vulnerable children and families is trauma-informed
• Experience facilitating support groups and family activities
• Schedule flexibility allowing some Saturday and evening work hours
• Must have legal status that allows full-time paid employment in the US
Please email a resume, cover letter with salary requirements to email@example.com.
Please put the words "Bienestar Cultural Broker” in the subject line of the e-mail.
The Family Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Family Center is covered under FMLA.
State/Province: New York
Country: United States