The Center for Urban Community Services, a national leader in the development of effective housing and service initiatives for homeless people, invites applications for a Program Director at The Long Acre. As a response to the MTA overnight subway shutdown and the COVID-19 pandemic, the City has provided emergency funding for single stabilization beds for people living on the streets throughout New York City. The Department of Homeless Services (DHS) has given CUCS the opportunity to operate a 97- unit stabilization bed program in the Theater District. The program provides services and a single room. Services include case management and mental health treatment. The program has a psychiatrist from Janian Medical Care, an affiliate of CUCS, on site one day a week. Referrals can be made to the program by all City contracted Outreach Programs.
CUCS is seeking candidates for the day and evening Case Managers at The Long Acre Stabilization Bed Program. Case Managers will work as part of a team of five supervised by the Program Director. Holding caseloads of approximately 20 clients each, case managers will provide supportive, person centered services to each individual they work with. Utilizing a harm reduction and housing first approach, case managers will provide assistance with next steps towards permanent housing.
· Creating a welcoming environment at the Program that helps and encourages residents to stay in housing
· Assisting clients with the procurement of identification, including escorts into the field to obtain documents
· Completing applications with clients to connect them with income benefits, evaluations and proof of homeless history
· Collaboration in the housing process will occur with Outreach providers who initially referred the resident.
· Case Manager 1 requires a HS Diploma and 2 years relevant experience
· Case Manager 2 requires a Bachelor’s Degree or HS Diploma and 4 years relevant experience.
· Case Manager 3 requires a Bachelor’s Degree and 2 years relevant experience or BSW and 1 year relevant experience or HS Diploma and 6 years relevant experience.
· Good verbal and written communication skills
· Strong writing skills and computer literacy required
· Bilingual Spanish /English preferred
· Experience with DHS CARES preferred
Note: for every 30 college credits earned, 1 year of experience may be reduced from the requirement for applicants with HS diplomas.
Emergency funding is currently being provided for six months with the possibility of extension. In the event that the contract is not extended, employees in good standing will be offered their choice of open positions, for which they are qualified, at other CUCS programs. We are excited to be a part of this innovative program providing street homeless individuals with single rooms in Manhattan at this time.