Helpline Counselors/Care Consultants provide advice and counsel to individuals who contact the Association’s Contact Center, in accordance with approved clinical protocols. As trained professionals, Helpline Counselors/Care Consultants work with callers who have care or health related questions by providing advice, problem-solving counsel regarding difficult behaviors, decision-making support, crisis assistance, guidance during transitions and connections to local services.
This position is located in downtown Chicago and includes weekend hours.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide short-term telephone consultation with callers in a professional and compassionate manner.
- Apply empathetic listening skills to assess callers’ needs.
- Access appropriate information and make recommendations for care and follow-up
- Help callers better understand Alzheimer’s disease and behaviors commonly associated with it.
- Link callers to emergency, chapter and/or community resources, as needed.
- Provide accurate and timely documentation and follow-up of call interactions and interventions.
- Work closely with Contact Center staff and chapter care consultation contacts.
- Follow established Association Contact Center/Care Consultation policies, procedures and clinical protocols.
- Uphold the Alzheimer’s Association policy on client confidentiality
- Bring cases with legal, risk management, or ethical implications to the attention of the director in an expedient manner.
- Act as a resource to other staff with issues of legal competency, guardianship, and advance directives.
- Master degree in social work, psychology, or counseling required. Licensure (LSW, LCSW) preferred.
- 3-5 years experience in a healthcare setting, preferably in geriatrics or mental health with expertise in dementia.
- Previous call center experience highly desirable.
- Working knowledge of personal computers.
- Experienced clinical/counseling skills in listening, assessment, empathy, advocacy, negotiation, referral, and closure.
- Professional experience conducting health screenings/evaluations, diagnostic intakes and/or crisis intervention counseling.
- Bilingual skills (Spanish/English) preferred.