Health & Wellness Educator II|
Catholic Charities, Brooklyn and Queens
<< Go back |
Email Job to a Friend
Save Job to Inbox
||Jan 02, 2020
||- n/a -
||- n/a -
||US - New York - Astoria
||- n/a -
Under the supervision of the Assoc. Director Health and Wellness, will assist in developing and providing pertinent health, wellness and nutrition workshops in the community. Will adhere to all administrative tasks, data collection and comply with contractual obligations and supervision of interns and volunteers. This work will be completed within the Catholic Charities frame of an integrated programming philosophy of family centered, strength-focused, and client empowerment centered practice.
• Facilitate workshops empowering participants to maximize their level of health and wellness to live long, full, and healthy, vibrant lives. The pursuit of health, personal growth, and improved quality of life relies on living a balanced life. To achieve balance, we need to care for our mind, body, and spirit
• Be abreast of complex topics such as Mental Health needs, Child Abuse/Neglect needs, and Sexual and Domestic Violence. Be able to response appropriately to client reactions, needs and responses to sensitive topic areas. Connect to appropriate resources
• Advertise workshops and help guide and direct people during sessions to ensure that all goals are met in an effective way
• Create a warm, accepting and informal atmosphere which provides support, trust, and safety; and to involve all individuals in the group process, thus creating an environment of inclusion and equal participation
• Provide direct supervision of student interns and volunteers where needed
• Develop internal and external linkages while engaging in community building activities and promoting program services through outreach initiatives
• Provide summary reports for each workshop or workshop series
• Assist in food pantry, community events, workshops and health and wellness initiatives conducted by Community Program Services and Office of Mission
• Ensure the intern and volunteer time sheets are kept accurately and submitted in a timely fashion
• In conjunction with the Associate Director of Health and Wellness and team, think creatively to develop, design, and plan new curriculum, ideas for workshops. Schedule workshops based on availability of locations, equipment, presenters and target audience
• Work in collaboration with Senior Director of Community Programming, Health and Wellness Educator Team, Food Pantry Resource Team & Directors of Parish Relations and Office of Mission staff in implementing and facilitating events in response to emerging community needs
• Other duties as assigned
SPECS FOR EDUCATION/LICENSES/CERTS
• Masters’ degree in Nutrition, Health and Wellness, Human Service, or related field
• Valid driver's license, proof of department of motor vehicles driving history, 3 years of current driving experience with no more than one moving violation in the previous 24 months (2 years), and no driving while intoxicated convictions
SPECS FOR EXP AND TRAINING
• 2 years of exp in group work pref’d
• Prior exp working in nutrition, health and wellness pref’d
• Exceptional comm skills to interact with people from diverse backgrounds and environments
• High energy, motivation and creativity needed
• Independent work skills
• Excellent comm (written & oral), interpersonal, listening and transactional skills
• Proficient in computer software applications, Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook
• Bilingual English/Arabic, English/Cantonese/Mandarin, English/Spanish, and/or English/ Russian pref’d
• Frequent sitting, standing, walking, & climbing stairs.
• Ability to lift 35 lbs.
• Ability to bring all necessary materials for workshops to site location
• Should be able to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, & office equipment.
• Ability to read printed & handwritten materials.
• Ability to work flexible hours (evenings/weekends) as assigned.
• Able to travel throughout the five boroughs as needed.
• Ability to read computer screen for long periods of time.
• Ability to utilize public transportation, climb stairs, walk