LEGAL SERVICES COORDINATOR
(FULL OR PART-TIME. JD NOT REQUIRED)
Since 1994, The Family Center has provided legal, social, and mental health services to New Yorkers facing the intertwined challenges of poverty and severe illness. Founded during the height of NYC’s HIV epidemic to provide multidisciplinary support to HIV-affected families, TFC now serves many vulnerable populations including those coping with cancer and other life-threatening illnesses, life-limiting disabilities, trauma, and parental absence.
TFC is seeking a Legal Services Coordinator to join its Legal Wellness Institute, a team of dedicated attorneys and advocates providing holistic, community-based legal services to low-income New Yorkers affected by serious illness and disability.
Our legal services promote health and stability for medically fragile New Yorkers, and encompass four practice areas: (1) Housing Law; (2) Family Law; (3) Public Benefits and Healthcare Access; and (4) Lifetime Planning. LWI’s unique model is designed to meet the needs of our specific client population. In keeping with our commitment to holistic representation, all LWI staff work on cases in all of our practice areas. And for clients unable to travel to our office, we bring the law office to the client: meeting in clients’ homes, hospitals, hospices, and other sites throughout NYC.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Advocate for clients on issues relating to public benefits and other matters, including representation in administrative hearings, with attorney supervision
• Assist with new client intake, data entry, and reporting
• Assist LWI attorneys in providing legal services to clients in all five boroughs, including home and hospital visits, accompanying clients to administrative agencies, research and document preparation, and court filings
• Create and lead community presentations and legal clinics on various topics at locations throughout NYC
• Assist with training of legal interns and volunteers
• Other duties, projects, and tasks as required
• Fluency in Spanish, required
• College graduate
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated commitment to working with marginalized communities
• Excellent writing, speaking, and organizational skills
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team setting
• Willingness to travel throughout NYC to meet with and advocate for clients and give presentations
• Experience working with individuals affected by mental and/or physical illness preferred but not required
• Experience or studies in family law, public benefits, housing or elder law preferred but not required
Application Instructions: Please email a resume, cover letter and one writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Legal Services Coordinator”. Please state salary requirements in cover letter and indicate if you are available full-time or part-time. If part-time, please include a proposed schedule (minimum two days per week).
The Family Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to inclusive hiring and strives to ensure that our staff reflects the diversity of the communities we serve.
The Family Center is covered under FMLA.