About HELP USA
At HELP USA, we work to ensure that everyone has a place to call home. We’re one of the nation’s largest homeless services providers and low-income housing developers serving at-risk populations including families, individuals, veterans, survivors of domestic violence, people with physical and mental health challenges and disabilities, and seniors. With an annual operating budget approaching $150 million and 1400 employees working in nearly 60 programs, we have helped over 500,000 people facing homelessness and poverty to build better lives. We hope that you will consider joining our team in the fight against homelessness.
As part of New York City’s plan to end homelessness, the Department of Homeless Services established Homebase Homeless Prevention Community Resource Centers throughout New York City. Homebase programs are designed to assist families and individuals who are homeless or at imminent risk for becoming homeless to develop a plan for long-term housing stability. Homebase helps clients navigate the complicated eviction process, offers financial and money management counseling, helps clients obtain public benefits, provides short-term financial assistance, and helps with relocation if necessary.
As a Document Specialist, you’ll be responsible for ensuring the accurate completion and processing of Financial Assistance Requests for Homebase clients. You’ll also ensure that landlords receive payment and that receipt is correctly documented.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Reviewing all Financial Assistance Requests (FARs), making or requesting corrections as needed, entering FARs into DHS CARES database, obtaining appropriate approval, and liaising with Central Office to obtain checks for payment.
- Logging receipt of checks and coordinating with Case Managers to arrange secure, documented payment to landlords.
- Maintaining an Excel spreadsheet to track the FAR spending vs. budget.
- Participating in community outreach and presentations to increase program enrollment.
- Associate’s Degree required; Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum of one year experience (preferrably three) in a similar role.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to take initiative, be dependable and resourceful, and pay keen attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills to manage multiple priorities concurrently in a time-sensitive manner.
- Knowledge and understanding of team concepts preferred.
- Valid NYS Driver’s license a plus.
- Computer literacy, particularly with Microsoft Office Excel.
EOE. A Drug Free Workplace.