Bill Wilson Center is a nationally and regionally recognized leader for providing services to at-risk youth and families. Our agency -- from our executive team to our line staff -- is committed to improving the lives and conditions of the people we serve. We provide direct services to more than 3,500 children, youth, young adults and families in Santa Clara County. BWC provides services that meet the cultural and linguistic needs of our whole community. We value our unique ethnic diversity as well as the LGBTQ community and non-able body community. Join us and become a difference maker at Bill Wilson Center! Find out more at http://www.billwilsoncenter.org/bwc_jobs/
We have a great opportunity for a Residential Counselor at our Safety Net Shelter. The Residential Counselor creates a safe and supportive environment for youth, ages 11-17 who are in need of immediate shelter or crisis stabilization due to homelessness, runaway, family conflict, school problems, trauma or encounter with law enforcement, juvenile probation or child protective services. The Residential counselor is the primary care provider offering empathy, listening skills, mentorship and coaching that empowers youth to heal and find healthy solutions and problem solving skills as part of their developmental stage towards self-sufficiency. Weekend and holiday coverage required.
Sunday – Thursday 3:30 PM – 12:00 AM (40 Hrs)
Tuesday – Saturday 7:00 AM – 3:30 PM (40hrs)
Friday – Monday 7:30 AM – 4:00 PM (32 Hrs)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assist in screening, evaluation and orientation of homeless youth.
• Handle crisis phone calls and occasional walk-in crisis situations.
• Provide individual and group counseling to residents.
• Complete weekly and monthly program reports.
• Maintain and dispense appropriate medications.
• Input client data into computer system.
• Oversee AFDC applications for client funding.
• Prepare youth each morning and ensure youth are dressed, fed and ready for school or other activity.
• Gives instructions to youth regarding desirable health and personal habits.
• Plans and leads recreational activities and participates or instructs youth games.
• Discipline youth and recommend or initiate other measures to control behavior.
• Escort youth to designated activities
• Assist with housekeeping duties in the entire shelter and ensure cleanliness and tidiness at all times.
• Ensure safe environment for fellow employees and residents.
• Attend meetings and trainings as required
• Ensure that any BWC vehicles used are kept tidy and that any maintenance or safety issues are reported to the Facilities Manager immediately.
• Ensure that site is neat and tidy and report all maintenance or safety issues to manger or Facilities Manager immediately.
• Participate in agency Program Quality Improvement activities and initiatives
• Participate in agency Safety initiatives and proactively report safety issues to management immediately
• Regular attendance is a requirement of the position. Must be available overnight, weekends and holidays.
• Other duties as assigned.