NOW HIRING: STAFF ATTORNEY
Since 1994, The Family Center has provided legal, social, and mental health services to New Yorkers facing the intertwined challenges of poverty and severe illness. Founded during the height of NYC’s HIV epidemic to provide multidisciplinary support to HIV-affected families, TFC now serves many vulnerable populations including those coping with cancer and other life-threatening illnesses, life-limiting disabilities, trauma, and parental absence.
TFC is seeking a staff attorney to join its Legal Wellness Institute, a small team of dedicated attorneys and advocates providing holistic, community-based legal services to low-income New Yorkers affected by serious illness and disability.
Our legal services promote health and stability for medically fragile New Yorkers and their families, and encompass a number of practice areas including: (1) Housing Law; (2) Family Law; (3) Public Benefits and Healthcare Access; and (4) Lifetime and Future Planning. LWI’s unique model is designed to meet the needs of our specific client population. In keeping with our commitment to holistic representation, all LWI attorneys represent clients in all of our practice areas. And for clients unable to travel to our office, our attorneys bring the law office to the client: meeting in clients’ homes, hospitals, hospices, and other sites throughout NYC.
Staff attorneys receive extensive orientation, ongoing training, and many opportunities for professional growth and development. While attorneys are expected to manage individual caseloads, they function as part of a collaborative, close-knit team and receive significant mentorship and guidance. Our work is complex and challenging, but TFC is committed to supporting staff in doing this work well and encourages work-life balance and self-care.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Advise and represent clients in all of LWI’s practice areas and appear in courts and administrative agencies in all five boroughs of NYC
• Manage all facets of client representation including intake and interviews, client meetings, legal research, drafting legal documents, negotiations, hearings, and trials
• Create and lead community presentations and legal clinics on various topics at locations throughout NYC
• Mentor, train, and supervise legal interns and volunteers
• Other duties as assigned
• The Staff Attorney will report to the Assistant Director of Legal Services
• Fluency in Spanish, required
• Juris Doctor degree, required
• Must be admitted to the New York State Bar or eligible for admission
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated commitment to working with marginalized communities
• Excellent writing, speaking, and organizational skills
• Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team setting
• Willingness to travel throughout NYC to meet with clients, give presentations, and appear in court
• Experience working with individuals affected by mental and/or physical illness preferred but not required
• Experience in family law, public benefits, housing or elder law preferred but not required
• Other duties as assigned.
Please email resume, a brief cover letter and one writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Staff Attorney”. Please state salary requirements in cover letter.
The Family Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Family Center is covered under FMLA.