CARE NYC’s main site is Sunnyside Community Services with partner sites throughout Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Queens. This position is for a Brooklyn partner site. We are seeking a dynamic Social Worker working under the title of Caregiver Support Specialist to work with caregivers throughout the five boroughs. This position is full-time with full benefits.
The Caregiver Support Specialist will be responsible for assessing and delivering services that meet the needs of individuals and families caring for someone living with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia. The Caregiver Support Specialist will complete intakes, assessments, care plans, and enter timely case notes. The Caregiver Support Specialist should be familiar with New York City’s network of service providers for individuals with AD and their caregivers, which will enable them to connect caregivers to the services they require. They should have experience in outreach and be able to identify community groups, professionals and agencies throughout the City who may have an interest in services and may benefit from CARE NYC services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conduct intake and assessment screening of caregiver, assessing mental and physical health needs and supports, and financial eligibility for benefits, entitlements and respite services.
• Perform home visits to caregivers to evaluate unmet needs.
• Collaborate with the caregiver to develop a plan of care and implement constructive short and long-term interventions through counseling, education about caregiving supports, long-term planning, and assistance with benefits.
• Link caregivers to other service providers such as mental health, medical care, and financial management services as needed.
• Lead a support group, providing emotional support and psycho-education about dementia.
• Provide timely documentation and maintenance of client files and progress notes.
• Work as part of the team to support the needs of the program.
This role will require bending, sitting, stooping, and standing.
The work of this role will take place in an office setting,
• BSW with 3-5 years of experience working in a social service organization or equivalent OR MSW with 2 years of experience working in a social service organization or equivalent.
• Experience working with families, the geriatric populations, social services, senior benefits and client relations in a hospital setting preferred.
• Caregiver and/or Alzheimer’s experience preferred.
• Ability to organize, manage and evaluate multiple activities and services.
• Ability to communicate effectively with other team members, community agencies, and clients with diverse opinions, values and cultures.
• Excellent interpersonal and public speaking communication skills. Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with staff, clients, volunteers, and other community/government agencies.
• Provide accurate and timely documentation required.
• Strong computer skills with experience in Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel. Salesforce experience is preferred.
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
• Bilingual in English/Spanish preferred.