New York Urban League
View this organization's profile and their additional job openings
<< Go back |
Email Job to a Friend
Save Job to Inbox
||Feb 10, 2023
||$18.00 - 22.00 hourly
||US - New York - Bronx
||- n/a -
The Youth Advocate will support the programmatic needs of the Project Ready program at Bronx Legacy High School which will serve 11th grade students in a classroom program setting. The program will focus on college and career readiness, lifelong exploration, civic engagement, and social and emotional learning. The Youth Advocate will work up to 20 hours per week between 9:00am and 3:00pm Monday-Friday (schedule will be determined based on program hours).
REQUIRED EDUCATION, COMPETENCIES, SKILLS AND ABILITIES INCLUDE:
• Associate degree (or credit equivalent) with 1 - 2 years of professional work experience particularly in social services, youth development administration, or community
• Strong commitment to youth socio-emotional development needs of our targeted community.
• Experience engaging, interacting and maintaining collaborative trusting relationships and with diverse individuals, youth and community partners.
• Strong oral and written communication, time management and organizational skills are necessary.
• Respect for the value, potential and dignity for all program participants.
• Ensure confidentiality in all areas of responsibility.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
• Ability to work outdoors and travel throughout NYC.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and other standard business technology is required.
• Must be vaccinated for COVID-19 and pass background and clearance check.
Program Specific Responsibilities
• Develop and implement service-learning projects, presentations and workshops including but not limited to college and career readiness, life skills, and social development.
• Act as a liaison with participants, administrative/program staff, and parents.
• Accurately document attendance and participation for all program activities as required
by program and agency procedures.
• Attend and participate in organization-wide initiatives as required.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Ability to use a computer for prolonged periods
• Ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds
• Ability to speak clearly in English
• Ability to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand or arm, for example,
using a keyboard or phone
• Ability to stand, walk or sit for long periods of time
• Ability to travel for a minimum of 1 mile within a reasonable amount of time in all types
of weather, including inclement weather
• Ability to bend and retrieve objects and/or documents
• Ability to climb five flights of stairs
Hourly range: $18.00 - $20.00/hr for 20 hrs/week, rate commensurate with experience.
This is a school-year position (September 2022-June 2023) with the option for summer employment based on funding and overall performance.
Name: Shalima McCants
Address: 675 3rd avenue
City: New York
State/Province: New York
Country: United States