For over 117 years, Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens has been providing quality social services to the neighborhoods of Brooklyn and Queens, and currently offers 160-plus programs and services for children, youth, adults, seniors, and those struggling with mental illness.
STATEMENT OF THE JOB:
Under the direction of the Residential Supervisor the Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) will meet CCNS requirements for qualitative and quantitative contacts with clients. Will conduct groups related to wellness and self -management, provide psychoeducation to improve participants understanding and management of specific disorders and assist clients in managing their medication regimens. The LPN advocates on behalf of individuals by making referrals to other health care providers, reviewing medical reports and providing counseling around making healthy dietary choices to improve lifestyle.
· The LPN provides direct nursing services to clients that focus on health promotion restoration, maintenance and prevention of illness.
· Meet CCNS requirements for computer generated, typed qualitative and quantitative documentation. This includes producing progress notes for every client and collateral contact (including both face to face and telephone contacts), writing and completing thorough, accurate notes on behalf of the individual. Write notes concurrently in the presence of participants.
· Take blood pressure, and glucose readings from clients as needed; responds to medical emergencies when they occur on CCNS premises until EMS arrives
· Ensuring that target population has access to service according to contractual requirements and Agency Mission.
· Monitoring and coordinating psychiatrist psychopharmacology appointments.
· Follow-up on referrals made on behalf of the participant and respond to all referrals in a timely and professional manner, recognizing the need for effective collaboration in order to insure the highest levels of service provision.
· Adheres to HIPPA guidelines of confidentiality of individual health information and respects the confidentiality of staff as well.
· Responsible for Medication Management, Monitoring of Medications and Medication Safekeeping, and Medication Education.
· Converse, coordinate and advise those in both medical and psychiatric position on the urgent needs of consumers.
· Conduct in-service trainings consistent with population served
· Perform in the capacity of liaison in the most urgent medical and psychiatric needs of consumers.
· Maintain caseload with a minimum of 5 consumers adhering to all standards put forth by agency and funding stream.
· Conduct on-going medication and health education groups
· Participate in in-service trainings and attend relevant workshops/conferences at the request of or with the permission the Clinical Director.
* Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) with current New York State license
* Current CPR (BLS), First Aid
* Associates Degree in Nursing or equivalent
* Bachelor’s Degree Preferred
* One-year post LPN licensure clinical nursing experience working with individuals with behavioral health needs preferred.
* Experience providing community-based treatment to individuals living with severe mental illness preferred.
* Bilingual Spanish speaking, preferred.
* Ability to work flexible hours and days – including weekends/evenings/holidays according to needs of a 24/7 program.
* Ability to lift at least up to 30 pounds.