Hybrid: In-Person and Virtual
Join UP! We are lighting the path home, one person at a time.
About Urban Pathways
Since 1975, Urban Pathways has engaged New York City’s most vulnerable residents, people on the streets or in areas unfit for human habitation, “lighting the path home, one person at a time.” Urban Pathways is a catalyst for transformative change in the lives of unhoused adults, empowering them to discover their inherent strengths and abilities. We provide essential support and foster an environment where individuals can redefine their narratives and become their best selves.
Reporting to the Chief Development and Communications Officer, the Marketing and Communications Manager plays an integral role in setting and guiding the strategy for the organization’s overall communications and messaging with a primary focus on external engagement. A key responsibility will be creating and implementing an integrated marketing, public relations, and promotion strategy designed to increase the organization’s visibility within the community. The Marketing and Communications Manager is a storyteller at heart who will enthusiastically engage with a variety of stakeholders on behalf of the organization. This role will also support other department initiatives, including events, strategic partnerships, and special projects that increase brand awareness and engagement. The Marketing and Communications Manager will be an active listener and respond to staff, donors, and prospects by exhibiting cross-cultural awareness.
Key Responsibilities & Essential Functions
• Develops an integrated marketing and communications plan rooted in stakeholder insights and data to drive brand awareness and engagement and achieve organizational goals.
• Within the annual marketing and communications plan, develops and implements a media relations strategy, seeking high-level placements in print, broadcast, and online media; liaises with policy staff at Urban Pathways on public relations activities and in creating public relations content.
• Manages media inquiries and interview requests; coordinates all public relations activities.
• Leads development of print and digital content for external audiences including current and prospective funders, donors, community partners, and program participants. Supports internal communications in partnership with HR as needed.
• Advises and supervises Digital Content Specialist with a goal of engaging audiences across traditional and new channels, ranging from print and digital appeals and materials to video and social media.
• Monitors, analyzes, and communicates results on an ongoing basis with monthly reporting using a comprehensive dashboard, to be created in consultation with the Chief Development and Communications Officer.
• Manages portfolio of vendors and subscriptions; source and price vendors and serve as primary contact.
• Attends staff meetings and participates in ongoing training and professional development.
• Performs all other duties as assigned and required.
Qualifications, Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in relevant roles required; master’s degree in relevant discipline preferred.
• Minimum of 5—7 years marketing and communications related experience required. Nonprofit experience is highly desirable.
• Experience building relationships with and placing stories with various media outlets.