Case Manager - Housing Advocate|
View this organization's profile and their additional job openings
<< Go back |
Email Job to a Friend
Save Job to Inbox
||Sep 21, 2022
||Starting at $39,000
||US - Illinois - Chicago
||- n/a -
Position Description: The HOW Housing Advocacy Program provides case management, housing location, and income support services to families and youth. This position serves families who have an open child welfare case and are homeless or at risk of homelessness. Our goal is to help families obtain stable housing and avoid family separation. This position also serves youth exiting the foster care system who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. Our goal is to help youth increase life skills, increase income, and obtain stable housing.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Working in partnership with clients to assess all barriers to safe, stable, and affordable housing, and to identify steps needed to address these barriers.
• Providing life skills training, counseling, and guidance to clients as they work to overcome barriers to housing.
• Locating housing options which meet client needs, including market-rate apartments, family reunification, roommate situations, transitional housing, and affordable/subsidized housing.
• Linking clients to available community resources.
• Referring qualified families to subsidized housing through DCFS Family Unification Program.
• Referring qualified youth to temporary subsidies and one-time cash assistance with housing costs through DCFS and other sources.
• Assisting clients in applying for cash assistance through DCFS or other sources.
• Maintaining communication with DCFS case workers and supervisors.
• Advocating for clients with CHA, landlords, employers, and other agencies or institutions.
• Providing education on tenant rights and responsibilities.
• Preparing clients for apartment search and for negotiations with landlords.
• Follow up with clients once housed; assist with mediating any potential housing problems.
• Attending CHA meetings and appointments with clients as needed.
• Accurately tracking and documenting all services provided.
• Completing required billing and documentation as outlined in contract.
• Attending weekly staff meetings and other staff trainings.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Minimum of three years of experience in a social services setting.
• Experience with program coordination and administration; excellent interpersonal skills; excellent written and verbal communication skills; comfortable working in a collaborative team setting; knowledge of homelessness and community resources.
REQUIREMENTS AND LICENSURE:
• Must pass applicable background tests, including CANTS screening
• Must possess valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle, and proof automobile insurance
• Must be able to lift a minimum of 25 pounds, and walk up and down stairs
• Bilingual Preferred (Spanish and English)
• Must have a vehicle
• Travel up to 75% of the time
Name: Kimberlee Ross
Address: 1607 West Howard Street, Fl 3
Country: United States