The Actors Fund, a national nonprofit organization serving professionals in need in the entertainment community, seeks a Health Benefits Specialist to provide telephone and in-person enrollment, case management and benefits counseling to clients seeking to access health insurance or health care programs. As a key member of the Fund’s Health Services team, this person reports to the Director of the Artists Health Insurance Resource Center. This position is time-limited through February 2015.
The specialist provides telephone and in-person advice to consumers and small businesses in the arts and entertainment community about how they can find, enroll in, and use health insurance or health care programs. The specialist conducts in-person enrollment assistance through the New York State of Health Marketplace, and responds to live calls and to email inquiries from consumers in a timely manner.
The specialist provides information, advice, referral, appeals and advocacy to clients with supervision. They are capable of providing case management as well as serving as a liaison to internal and external resources on behalf of the client. The specialist conducts weekly workshops on affordable health insurance and health care options on-site and off-site as needed.
The specialist assists other staff with creation of educational materials as necessary and maintains thorough case records of services provided, advice and/or referrals offered using case management software.
• Bachelors Degree and a minimum of 3 years experience providing assistance to consumers and/or advocates on health insurance and health care access issues;
• Strongly preferred: Background in advocacy/case management in insurance industry, hospital/clinic setting, social work, or public health programs;
• Strong interpersonal counseling skills;
• Public speaking skills;
• Microsoft Office proficient;
• Ability to write clearly, concisely and keep detailed notes of all communications;
• Ability to adjust work plans to changing organizational needs; and
• Ability to function well within a team setting.