New Alternatives for Children, Inc. (NAC) is an innovative child welfare agency located in Midtown Manhattan, which provides services to medically fragile children and their families. NAC is currently seeking applicants for a Director of Recreation and Transportation.
The Director of Recreation and Transportation prepares a calendar of creative and richly diversified recreation activities, groups and special events. In close collaboration with staff from multiple disciplines, (s)he develops and manages programs that support the delivery of on or off-site services (S)he provides effective leadership to Recreation, Transportation and New Horizons staff, and has knowledge of the organization and the function of the department and its policies and procedures.
This position supports N.A.C.’s mission to provide the highest quality of care to the children and families we serve.
1. Provides supervision, support, and training to department staff.
2. Devises and regularly disseminates recreation calendar. Supervises the planning and implementation of high-quality and diversified recreation programs, especially groups, outings, and special events.
2. Oversees New Horizons (STYA) program. Prepares quarterly reports and ensures compliance with contractual obligations.
3. Manages and develops programs that support the delivery of on-site and community-based services, including: transportation via NAC van and private car service; playroom and waiting area recreation and activities; family visit monitoring or supervision; and escorts for clients and staff traveling to or from critical destinations.
4. Oversees family support services and van request system.
5. Acts as liaison between recreation department and community relations staff and volunteers.
6. Covers department in the absence of director.
7. Performs additional responsibilities in accordance with agency needs.
1. Adept at collaborating with staff in a variety of different disciplines and programs.
2. Strong leadership skills that promote staff development, particularly with regard to delegating responsibilities efficiently and promoting staff development.
3. Ability to work mid week evenings and Saturdays.
4. Excellent computer skills (Word processing, spreadsheet and web-based applications).
5. Ability to communicate in Spanish is a plus.