Secretary needed for the Mental Health department at our Wading River (Long Island) campus. This is a part-time position. Three days/week 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Job Responsibilities include:
- Answers phones, giving or receiving information within the scope of knowledge and responsibilities; routes calls for necessary action.
- Organizes mail and distributes to appropriate staff per distribution lists and instructions.
- Copies, distributes, and tracks agency-wide memorandums, reports, manuals and surveys.
- Transcribes from notes or types from copy, rough draft, or general instructions, forms, records, documents, correspondence and a variety of other agency and legal records frequently requiring independent judgment and discretion on problems encountered.
- Composes routine letters, proofreads and sends out correspondence; routes incoming mail and correspondence not requiring a Supervisor's attention to proper persons for action.
- Checks for accuracy and completeness of documents received for agency use or prepared for submission to other agencies or governmental offices; keeps track of documents.
- May gather source material for the preparation of reports or other matters. Assists Supervisor in editing copy.
- Handles arrangements for meetings.
- Maintains files for unit or program or special files for the Director or Supervisor.
- Performs related work, as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Good knowledge of general office terminology, business English, spelling, arithmetic, office procedures, equipment, and clerical techniques.
- Skill in typing accurately; may require stenography or word processing.
- Ability to understand and carry out complex oral and written instructions.
- Ability to make minor decisions in accordance with agency rules and regulations and to apply these to work problems.
- Ability to rapidly acquire considerable knowledge of the legal, administrative and procedural regulations applicable to the office of assignment.
- Ability to keep complex records and to prepare periodic reports from such records.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, Supervisors, and clients.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective public relations for the unit as well as for the agency.
- Graduation from a commercial high school, secretarial school or comparable business experience.